Friday, March 14, 2014

Blueberry Pie

Happy Pi Day!!!! 3.14 deserves to have it's own holiday.... at least in my house it does! So when March 14th comes around on the calender our family gets to eat pie in honor of that weird never ending number. I mean do we really need any excuse to eat pie? Nope. I am NOT an expert on baking pies. I wish it was an easy thing to make pie crust, but they are a bit tricky. I have already blogged the amazing Tomato Pie which my family LOVES. You can find the recipe in the Main meals category. But today we are having Blueberry Pie. The first thing you need is a pie crust. Here is a recipe for my favorite pie crust recipe.

Pie Crust
1 1/2 cup Crisco
3 cups flour
1 egg
 5 TBSP cold water
1 TBSP vinegar
1 tsp salt

Mix Flour and salt. Cut in Crisco till crumbly like corn meal. Beat egg and add to flour mix, Add water and vinegar. Stir till all incorporated. Separate in to 3 parts.( You can put the ones you don't need in a zip lock and roll slightly and freeze them for when you need them.)  Let the dough chill 15 minutes before you use it. It will make it easier to handle.  Flour a surface and roll out to use for  a pie.

For the Pie

Blueberry Pie
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP water
4 cups blueberry
Mix sugar, corn starch, and cinnamon. Add the Vanilla and water. It is a bit clumpy but I mixed it really good. Mix in the blueberries. Put in pie crust. Make a lattice or top crust for top. Brush with a little water and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment