Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Pagoda's Honey Walnut Shrimp(or Chicken)

Well, I must say it is about time I started blogging yummy recipes again. We have made a giant move from Galena Alaska to Lake Mattamuskeet, North Carolina. Our house is some what set up and I have my computer back up and running. We are out in the country and loving it, so I figure it is a good thing to start off our new adventure with a BANG! And man is this recipe a bang!!! If you have ever been to Pagoda's in North Pole, Alaska you will know what this is! This is the appetizer EVERYONE orders! I even order it for my main meal. It is AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS! If the capitalization does not give you a hint this stuff is awesome! Unless you are allergic to shrimp, like Keith, then I would suggest you NOT eat this.... BUT WAIT! I made this recipe with chicken and it was just as amazing as the shrimp! And what is even more awesome is the simpleness to this recipe. So I will not keep you from the deliciousness anymore and will get right to the recipe

Honey Walnut Shrimp(or Chicken)
1 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup walnut halves
3 TBSP Mayonaise
1 1/2 tsp honey
1 1/2 tsp sweetened condensed milk
1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined(or I used about 4 chicken breasts cut in 1 inch cubes)
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
1 large egg beaten
1/2 - 1 cup corn starch

Heat 1/2 cup water in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Add sugar and stir constantly, until golden and thickened. Add Walnuts and sir to combine. Transfer to parchment paper lined plate. Let cool and break apart.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.

 In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, honey and condensed milk. set aside

Season shrimp with salt and pepper to taste

Working one at a time dip shrimp in egg, then dredge in the cornstarch, pressing to coat.
Working in batches, add shrimp to the skillet 8-10 at a time. Fry until golden brown and crispy. About 2 mintues on each side. Transfer to paper towel lined plate.

In a Large bowl combine Shrimp and honey mixture, Serve immediately topped with walnuts. And if you want to be just like Pagodas add some fresh steamed broccoli to the plate.  I like to eat this with rice as well.

Being in North Carolina, Pagoda's is a LONG ways away but thankfully I can make this dish and enjoy some of their delicious food!

No comments:

Post a Comment