Friday, May 26, 2017

Halibut/Fish Supreme

I have been making this recipe since we lived in Alaska. Our good friend Rob would make it and it was fantastic! He kindly gave me the recipe and we make it often and think of Rob and Jen a lot! Though Halibut was a little hard to come by in North Carolina, I learned it works well with Amberjack and other firm white fish. It also does great in the crockpot! I will post the adjustments for that below. But this recipe is delicious and has my mouth watering just thinking about it and I am not much of a fish person!

Halibut/Fish Supreme

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 TBSP flour
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tablespoon diced onions(I like more so I add about half an onion)
1/8 tsp  cayenne pepper( I use a cajun seasoning called "Slap ya Mama" Though I really suggest you NOT slap your mom, she might slap you back! )
2 pounds Halibut steaks ( I used Amberjack or any firm white fish I have on hand)

Preheat oven 425 degrees Lightly grease a baking dish
In a bowl, Mix the cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, flour, lemon juice, onion, and cayenne pepper. place the fish in the dish and cover with the cheese mixture.Bake 10 minutes in oven THEN REDUCE heat to 350 degrees and bake 15 -20 minutes more, till fish is flaky. I like to serve it with potatoes.

~To cook this in a slow cooker, I layers my seasoned  potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker, then I put the fish on top, topped it with the cheese mixture and I cooked it on high for 3 hours. My topping didn't get golden brown like I like it so I quickly transferred it to a broiler safe pan and broiled it for a few minutes till it was golden on top. This was a great way to fix dinner before a baseball game and come home to a yummy cooked dinner.

*I have not tried this on LOW in the slow cooker, so I don't know if it would work as well for LONG cooking times.

No comments:

Post a Comment