Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Creamy Mushroom Soup

Back in the good Ole days when Zimbabwe was the vacation spot of Southern Africa, our family would go to Harare and spend our holidays there. While Zambia's economy was not very good, Zimbabwe was 10 steps up. There were shops, hotels, restaurants, supermarkets with actual food on the shelf, putt putt golf and many other neat things to do.  One of my favorite places to eat was a restaurant called Tiffany's. It was a VERY ELEGANT, make reservations, put on your best dress and tie and Jacket kind of a place. Seriously, if you didn't have a tie on they would give you one at the door. It was VERY FANCY. My Mom and Dad would threaten us to behave. We were not allowed to behave badly at this restaurant! But for one night of our lives we got to be like royalty. From the crunchy toast with cold butter to the hot tea served with scones. I remember having to sit still in my pretty dress and my brother had to try NOT to pull at his tie while we got to drink a fancy drink and eat all of our 5 courses. Oh it was so much fun! I could handle being royalty... for a night at least! I don't remember much about the food except I do remember the soup being amazing! Their mushroom soup was so creamy and delicious. This recipe is came from my mom and is pretty close to the restaurants. Who knows it may even be the one they used. I have never asked her where she got it, but trust me if you like Mushroom soup try this!! With hot bread and butter.... YUMMY! I have to make adjustments in Galena. Fresh mushrooms are hard to find except in the summer and I usually don't have whipping cream but even with the adjustments is pretty delicious!

 Creamy Mushroom soup
1 cup sliced chopped mushrooms( I use 2 cans mushrooms)
2 TBSP onions
2 TBSP Butter
2 TBSP flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream(I use evaporated milk)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper

Saute mushrooms and onions in butter about 5 minutes. Stir in Flour. Slowly add broth. Cook and stir 2 minutes more till it bubbles and thickens. Stir in cream, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Heat thoroughly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment