Monday, February 24, 2014

Salmon Tacos

I was never really a fish eater. Don't get me wrong, I eat it but it was never something I ordered when I went to a restaurant unless it was a Fish & Chips kind of a joint. I love fried fish at fish fries and I would eat it if that is what we were having for dinner but I was more of the shrimp kind of a person. But when we moved to Alaska I knew that I would have to learn to love fish. Before we move I copied hundreds of different Salmon recipes and some other fish recipes since I knew Salmon would be a major part of our meal plans here. Many of the recipes we didn't like so I tossed them but this is one that we have kept and made. It is rather quite simple but you have to be careful not to over cook the fish. I use Salmon in this but I am sure any white fish would be good too.

These seriously are easy and delicious! And with winter here, it kind of transported me to the tropics....kind of! I can imagine sitting at a small beach cafe somewhere under the palm trees eating these. Watching the waves crash and drinking a cold Coke. Yep I am transported!
 Salmon Tacos
1 lb salmon (skinned and cut into 1 inch cubes)
1/2 TBSP cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 limes quartered ( I didn't have lime and used lemon juice and it was still delicious but fresh limes would be AMAZING!)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained, ( I used Rotel and actually didn't drain it)
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Toss cubed salmon in cumin and chili powder. Set aside.
Heat large skillet over medium heat and cook onions for about 2 minutes, till soft
Add Salmon to skillet. Lightly sear salmon on each side. turn them gently so they don't break apart. About 3 minutes. DON'T OVER COOK! The salmon will continue cooking through out the next steps. Add canned tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions. Gently stir and heat throughly. Squeeze Lime juice over salmon, Stir and plate up. Serve with warm tortillas or crunchy taco shells. I recommend the hard shell tacos to give a crunch but I also love these with fresh corn tortillas! Top with cheese, sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado, lettuce, shredded cabbage or any other toppings you like on your taco. 


No comments:

Post a Comment