Monday, October 7, 2013

Bagels

Bagels! I love Bagels! Smeared with a little Cream Cheese. YUM! How I wish there was a Lu Lu's Bagels here! Lu Lu's is a store in Fairbanks that has and AMAZING selection of fresh bagels and breads for your breakfast. Delicious! But since I am a expensive plane ride away from any bagel shop, I make my own. Before I ever made these I was a little intimidated by them, thinking they were harder to make then they really are. Once I tried them, I was hooked! So was my husband, who likes to take them frozen to work so he can warm one up for breakfast.  These are delicious! The batch is really big and I have to half the recipe because my mixer can't handle that much flour! So I will give you the half version. This recipe came from my friend Kim Kopp who has lived in Galena from many years. Thanks for teaching me how to get my bagel fix!

Bagels
2 3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup honey
1TBSP +1 tsp salt
4 cup Whole wheat Flour
4 cup Flour
2TBSP yeast

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix all ingredients together. Let rise 20 minutes. Shape into bagels. Let rise 20 minutes. Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a pan. Put bagels in boiling water. Boil on each side for 1 minute. remove from water place on grease cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven 550 degrees. Bake 8 minutes.

I like to mix cream cheese with some of these and spread it on the bagels:
shredded Pineapple
Chives
Chopped peaches
any other yummy things

No comments:

Post a Comment