Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Garam Masala Seared Salmon with Coconut Curry Butter

Salmon for dinner again? Of course, I live in Alaska! I have never been a big fish eater, maybe because of all my growing up years were spend in a land locked country of Zambia and the only fish we had access to was dried Kapenta. That in itself, is probably the reason I have never been fond of fish. (Kapenta is a small minnow like fish that the Zambian dry and you eat.) But fish is growing on me. Here in Galena, Salmon is a normal thing to find at any potluck and get together. You can have smoked, baked, salmon dip, salmon strips, dried salmon strips. All kinds of different ways to eat salmon. Since living here, I am learning and trying new recipes to cook salmon. I discovered this recipe and my family has added this to my book of favorites! It is delicious! I grew up eating A LOT of curry so this one fits right in! The Garam Masala Seared Salmon can be eaten as plate on its own. It is really good! I have made the fish with out the curry sauce and put them in tortillas for a delicious tasting taco too. The Garam Masala is what gives this dish the awesome flavor. Serve it up with some Naan and Rice..... Wala you have a wonderful curry dish!  I am sure you can use other fish for this recipe.

Garam Masala Seared Salmon with Coconut Curry Butter
3/4 cup dry white wine (I didn't have this I used Apple juice)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup coconut milk
2 TBSP curry powder
1 cup COLD unsalted butter( I only had salted butter) cut into pieces
Kosher salt to taste
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 fillets of Salmon
2 TBSP garam Masala
Kosher salt to taste

Pour wine, cream, and coconut milk into saucepan. season with curry powder. Bring to a light boil over Medium heat. Then reduce to medium low and simmer till reduced to about 1 cup. About 10 minutes. When reduced turn to low and add butter. whisk in till all butter is melted and mixed well. DO NOT let it boil or it will separate.  Season to taste with salt and set aside. Keep warm.

For Salmon, (I had to fillet the skin off and since I am NOT good at filleting fish, they ended up in chunks but I liked it that way better for the curry and Rice. So you can either use fillets or chunks.

Heat oil in saute pan over medium high heat. while oil is heating, season fish with garam masala and salt.  Place in oil. sear for 3-4 minutes on each side till done. Drain on paper towel. Serve with curry butter and rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment