Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pecan Crusted Salmon

Our internet has been down for the last weekend so I am behind a few post, but this week I am going to do a collection of Salmon recipes. Being on the Yukon river in Galena, we get a good amount of Salmon and fish. When we moved to Alaska, I collected so many recipes for salmon online, in cookbooks and where ever I could get them. Thinking that Salmon would be a nightly dish in our house, I wanted to have as many different recipes as I could get. But since we also get moose and we brought in our own chicken and pork, salmon was not the only food we eat. But it is a weekly meal in our house, so I like to test out new ones so we can have a change. Our favorite way to eat Salmon is Pecan Crusted Salmon. It is delicious! Plus when there is leftovers I have a few recipes that I will share this week of ways to use leftover salmon. But here is a simple easy recipe that tastes wonderful! I kind of made it up myself with an idea from a restaurant in Surf-side Texas called Red Snapper Inn. At that restaurant they have a DELICIOUS plate called Pecan Crusted Snapper. When we moved here I got the idea to make our own version and most people have loved it! When we have guest NOT from Alaska visit, they usually want to try fresh salmon and this is my recipe that we make. It is super easy and you can use this for other fish besides salmon, such as Halibut or Pike. If you don't have pecans you can also use Walnuts. It is a nice mixture of sweet with salty.

Pecan Crusted Salmon
2 TBSP butter
3 TBSP honey
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cup pecans finely chopped
3 tsp chopped fresh parsley
6 fillets salmon or 1 plank( I use a whole plank or side of salmon)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Cover a pan with foil or spray with Pam. I use foil so it is a easy clean up. Wash your salmon. Dry the salmon and lay on the foil pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Melt butter and then add honey mix well. Cut slits in salmon planks to allow butter to go in and to cook evenly. Brush with honey and butter.  In a bowl, mix together bread crumbs, pecans, and parsley. Pour on top of salmon. Bake 10 minutes per inch of thickness, till the salmon flakes when tested with fork.

Any leftovers store in the refrigerator and save to tomorrow.You can use them in Salmon Cakes or Chowder. I will post a recipe to use them in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment