Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Salmon Chowder

If you made the pecan crusted Salmon and have left overs or even if you have some canned salmon, this recipe is really good to make. It is delicious and I NEVER have leftovers of it! The hard part for me about this recipe is getting all the fresh veggies that you put in this chowder. Fresh vegetables in the bush are not easy to come by. Usually Keith grows Zucchini, potatoes, carrots and bell peppers in the summer but due to the flood this year I have none of those. But I can omit some of those. But trust me you wouldn't want to unless you have to. All the flavors contribute to this chowder. But the rest of the recipe is easy to make. The flavor is wonderful and goes great with some garlic biscuits! This recipe is from my dear friend Wendy. Her husband is a teacher during the winter and a fisherman in the summer. He is out all summer with a crew catching salmon to be processed and sold to people. We love it when she brings this to potluck at the church. If you have any leftover salmon, make this it is delicious!

Salmon Chowder
1 can salmon(smoked or plain) or use about 1 cup cooked salmon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery( I omit this since I don't like it and in Galena I never have this on hand)
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
3 TBSP butter
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 cup diced zucchini
1 can evaporated milk(or heavy cream)
1 can cream style corn

Drain salmon and flake it. Saute onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter until the vegetables are translucent. Add potatoes, carrots, chicken broth and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.Add zucchini and cook 5 minutes. Add Salmon, evaporated milk and corn. heat thoroughly. Serve. 4-6 servings

I serve this with my  Red Lobster biscuits. which are easy too.  I make the biscuits that are on the Bisquick box "drop biscuits" then I melt butter and some ranch powder together and brush on top. It is delicious!! I have a recipe for the home made Bisquick that I will post later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment