Saturday, October 5, 2013

Mary-Beth's Santa Fe Corn Soup

Well it is getting chilly here in Galena. Winter is fast approaching. Snow falls one day and melts the next. The cold Arctic wind bites to the bone while the shining sun begs for you to come out and play in it's warm rays the last days before it goes down to the horizon putting us in a winter of darkness. With this cold weather returning to our lives, so do my soup recipes.  Soup on a cold night makes life cozy and warm.

This is one of our family favorites. It is from a dear, dear friend Mary-Beth Huff.  She is one sweet sweet lady. Many of you may not have known but this summer our whole town was evacuated because the mighty Yukon River had a ice jam that caused water to raise so high that there was no where to go but up in a plane. Many of our homes and  much of the town was destroyed. If you want to read the story about it you can read it on my family blog Ramos Tribe Adventure. Any ways, One of the first persons to call me and check if we were OK was Mary Beth. She wanted to know how she could help and what we needed. At the time, while we were sitting in evacuation center waiting to hear news about our homes, her voice was refreshing, reassuring, concerned and filled with prayer. I was not sure how they could help but when I got emails of what Galena needed I emailed them to her and her husband Ken. Little did I know that they would take a few little emails of needs and turn them into FIVE mission teams coming to help our town. What a blessing they have been to our town and to my family. Thank you just doesn't seem to be enough to Mary Beth and Ken Huff! But Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

This is a soup recipe that she has shared with us. She brought this soup over one time when my mom was sick. Honestly all of us felt amazingly better after eating this soup. It is so delicious! My boys who are not corn eaters sure do eat this up. When I ask Kaden what he wants to eat for dinner, Corn soup is usually his answer. And usually I don't mind cooking this one up!

Mary Beth's Santa Fe Corn Soup.
1 bag(16oz) frozen corn -(getting frozen corn here is not easy so I use canned corn.)
1 cup Chicken broth
4 TBSP butter or Margerine
2 cups evaporated Milk
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 tsp oregano
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 TBSP canned diced can chiles
1 cup cubed cook chicken
1 cup Monterey Cheese grated ( I don't get this cheese here so I use cheddar, but I love the Monterey flavor)
1/4tsp baking soda
diced fresh tomatoes
crushed tortilla chips

Cook Chicken breast in 1 1/4 cup water with 1 chicken bouillon cube. Cool, Dice. Thaw corn slightly, then grind in a food processor. In a 3 quart pot, combine broth, butter, corn and garlic. Simmer, stirring 5 minutes. Add Milk, Oregano, Chilies, and Salt and Pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Add Chicken. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add Baking Soda and Cheese. Stir till cheese melts. Ladle into soup bowls, top with Diced tomatoes and Crushed Tortilla chips. Serves 4 generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment