Thursday, October 24, 2013

Maandazi

Today is my beloved Zambia's Independence day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZAMBIA!! They got their independence from Britain in 1964. To make today even more fun, I get to go talk about Zambia in Ms. Debbie's Geography club! I am super excited. Maybe because I love Zambia so much and for one hour kids are required to listen to stories about something near and dear to my heart. That kind of sounds like they are trapped in the class, but hopefully with the food and cool artifacts they get to touch and hold that they get some excitement about the world around them.  I hope they enjoy it.  Anyway, this has NOTHING to do with my recipe but I wanted to wish Zambia a happy birthday!

Today in Geography Club I am bringing a Kenyan doughnut called a Mandazi. Zambian food would be a little hard to transport and a bit messy to eat in class so  even though Mandazis are not eaten in Zambia we do have a similar thing called a Frita and that is what I am bringing. They are easy to make and wonderful to dunk in Kenyan Chai, which I am also bringing. Basically Chai is REALLY sweet tea that is made with milk instead of water. I add a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon to give  more flavor. My friend, Michelle, was the inspiration for todays recipe since she is making a Kenyan meal for dinner and asked else to make with it. I suggested Mandazis so here is the Recipe. Mine have been sampled and approved but my husband and my boys.

Mandazis
2 cups flour(or more if it is sticky)
2 tsp Baking Powder
3 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients together. Add eggs and milk and mix well. If it is sticky, which mine have been every time I add about 1/2 a cup to 1 cup more of flour. You want it to be a soft dough ball but not to sticky and easy to handle. On a floured surface roll out dough to about 1/2 inch. I use a pizza cutter and cut the dough into rows and then into squares. The fry in 350 degree oil till golden brown. After they cool a bit sprinkle with powder sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment