Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken and Sweet Coconut Curry Bread

Even though I grew up in Zambia, went to a boarding school in Kenya, and traveled around many countries there are many places I have never been. So I am not the best one to judge an authentic dish unless I have been there, but I do judge my dishes by how many people think something is delicious. I am always up for new dishes and I love to try different foods from around the world. This year I decided to home school my son Kaden, who is in Kindergarten. So with school added to the list of things that have to be done in the day I went on a quest for easy slow cooker recipes. Something I can throw in the pot in the morning and let it be done by dinner. I am not big on testing out new recipes on friends until I have tried them myself, but so far it has worked out every time I have a new recipe to try,  someone show up for dinner. That is a common occurrence at my house. I usually even throw in extra just in case someone might drop by for dinner. Totally fine with me. I love having people over. Maybe that is because that  is the way my Mom and Dad raised me. My house is always open and I like it that way. But with people dropping by, I don't have a lot of time to try out my new recipes, so my friends become my guinea pigs. So far I have quite a few that my family and friends have said "Wow this is good!" When my husband says "Add this to your favorite recipes and make it again" I do!  This recipe is one of the added to my favorites. Super easy and super tasty. Again I have never been to Morocco or tasted food from there so I can' not tell you if it is authentic or not, but it is delicious! I also made this Coconut Curry Bread that was gobbled up fast! I love the curry flavor that is baked into the bread. These two recipes compliment each other really well. Hope you enjoy this recipe.  

Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken

Carrots- Sliced (I used about 4 big ones)
1 onion chopped
3-4 pounds chicken cut up  (I used chicken breast because that is what I have but thighs would work great and be more moist then just chicken breast.)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup raisins (I didn't have these so I used craisins)
2 TBSP flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
Put carrots and onions in crock pot. Sprinkle chicken with salt add to slow cooker. Top with apricots and raisins. In a small bowl combine flour and broth till smooth.whisk in tomato paste, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours till chicken is tender. Serve with couscous or rice. Serves about 6 people.


Coconut Curry Bread( FYI this is not a very sweet bread)

1 cup warm water
2 tsp yeast
2 cups bread flour
1 TBSP dry milk
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP butter
1/3 cup Raisins (Again I used Craisins because I don't have raisins)
1/3 cup coconut
2 tsp curry powder
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add remaining ingredients mix well. I use my Kitchen Aid. cover and Let rise in a oil coated pan till double in size. Then Put in greased loaf and let rise again. Bake at 375 till golden brown. I think this was about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment